Yes, all us horse owners can feel a bit ‘humbug’ at this time of year, but with a bit of pre Christmas day planning and some clever thinking you can get some time to enjoy Christmas ‘like normal people’! Here are our 5 Horses With Ho Ho! top tips…
- Work out a yard rota that means you all have a share of the jobs on the day. Most people will try and visit their beloved equine on Christmas day if they can, so work out whether they could help do lunchtime feeds, hay-up and top water buckets or skip out etc. Many hands make light work!
- Deep littering can save time over the Christmas period, allowing you to just skip out as opposed to a thorough mucking out job when everyone is opening their presents and having fun.
- Make up your feeds all at once for the week in rodent proof containers with lids and clearly labelled with your horse’s name and time of feed. Our supplement comes in handy air tight sachets that can sit on top of your dry feed meal ready for sachet sprinkling over his food for much added goodness.
- Keep an eye on the weather forecast so that you are prepared with the right rugs ready to hand and a plan in place of what to do in the event of snow, rain or high winds.
- If you do have to work at the yard on Christmas day, get the radio on with some classic Christmas gold, your best Christmas jumper on and armed with a mince pie and a hot cuppa get jolly as you get going!