The month of November might feature fireworks and explosives but that doesn’t mean, as the winter rolls in, that we want to find them under our saddle! Here are our 6 top tips for managing fresh horses…
- If you are feeling the cold, the likelihood is that your horse is too, so get moving as soon as you can.
- Quarter sheets are great but in windy weather can end up blowing all over the place (Not a great idea on a spooky horse!)
- Keep your horse’s mind focused on you by incorporating new exercises into your schooling and give plenty of variety.
- If your horse is looking rather bright in the stable when you turn up to ride, then work him on the ground before you hop on.
- Don’t take risks with a fresh horse, wearing a hard hat and gloves when leading or handling a horse could save your life.
- Feed your horse accordingly so that you don’t end up over feeding which could increase the risk of tying up and also add to silly behaviour. Aloeride helps support a healthy digestive system and gut, which in turn can make a meaningful change in mood, cognition and ultimately behaviour. This also means that your horse is more receptive to training and is more likely to be calm during performance.
- And to help you keep calm about your horse’s health and wellbeing all year, take advantage of our money saving offer here:
N.B: This advice is general and we would always recommend that you professional expert advice on managing your horse.